Almost all social networks (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. actively use hashtags. What is a hashtag and why do we need it?
A hashtag is a single word or phrase before which the “#” symbol stands.
How does it work?
These notations are necessary in order to group thematic messages, as well as to create information channels. The author creates a hashtag, attributing to his post, relating to a particular topic. At the same time, a hashtag includes a post in the appropriate channel.
After the publication of the entry, the keywords marked with grids are converted into clickable links. By clicking on one of them, the user will be able to see all the messages that have been marked with this hashtag.
Almost all content marketers now understand and actively use this function of social networks. Using hashtag allows you to implement several tasks at once:
■ Increase audience level;
■ Increase brand awareness;
■ Attract the attention of the target audience to a particular event or trend.
To make it possible, it is extremely important to learn how to properly use hashtags. What does it mean, and what subtleties are there in creating such “labels”?
Let’s generalise the correct spelling:
– Lattice (#) and the word go without spaces;
– Hashtags are separated by spaces (#seo #trend #blog);
– The words in the labels go without spaces. Space can simply be dropped or replaced by a lower underscore (#blog_promotion);
– Do not use special characters: +, $, &,%, -;
– Do not use too long bunches of words;
– Use common and authoring tags, so that when you are found by common ones, you will be able to tighten it and copyright.
How to create a hashtag?
Usually it does not need to be invented, you should specify the relevant labels from the existing ones (if you are not sure that your unique label will fall into the trend), otherwise, it will simply group your records, without the possibility to increase the coverage.
How to create a brand based hashtag?
Just think of something unique or original (related to your brand/public, etc. enter into the search, and if there is not one record, you may think that you have just created it.
In Facebook, it’s more efficient to make hashtags with your blog binding, for example, # hashtag @ IDofYourBlog.
Can we use the same hashtags in all posts?
Yes, it is possible, but it is rational only if you write posts on 1 topic and very specific. Otherwise, you just limit yourself to reach the audience.
A hashtag can be placed anywhere in the record: at the beginning, at the end, or inside the text. On Twitter, for example, most often the hashtag is entered inside the message, not to waste unnecessary characters. In other social networks, hashtags are usually added at the end of the message.
Also remember to:
- Add hashtags that have a specific meaning – keywords or phrases that reflect the essence of your post.
- Do not write long hashtags – a maximum of 10-15 characters.
- Do not add too many hashtags to one post so that the message is readable. On Twitter, it is recommended to use no more than 3 hashtags in one message. A message with a lot of hashtags is perceived by many as spam.
- You do not need to write the entire post using hashtags: #ThisIsMy # business.
- For the English-speaking target audience, write hashtags in English, for foreigners – in their language.
- Before using a new hashtag, first look at which posts they are most often used. After all, there are so many identical words that have different meanings.
Three kinds of a hashtag that will work successfully in social networks.
The first kind is content hashtags. If your company starts working with tags, it’s better to use brand words: the name of your organisation, product and service. So, you can attract potential customers who have not known about your firm yet. For example, one of the restaurants in New York in their post on Twitter used hashtags of the proposed products (#coffee, #breakfast), and combined it with geographic location (#nyc). It was enough to attract coffee lovers in general and specifically those who live in New York.
The next type is trend hashtags. This is another way to introduce your company. Before using such phrases, you should make sure that your post corresponds to popular topics and will be interesting to the user. If it can join the general flow of posts under this hashtag, and also has the characteristics of a virus, and if the material is interesting, then users will share it, and it will greatly increase the reach of the audience. For example, with the approach of the Halloween holiday, one of the American companies offered an action and accompanied its post with the popular trending hashtag #Halloween. Thus, it was possible to draw users’ attention to information.
The third kind is branded hashtags. This is true for popular and well-known companies whose information is already interesting to users. Such own hashtags can subsequently be used not only to promote the brand itself, but also various events related to the company (competitions, marketing campaigns).
Some experts in this regard allocate a separate type – effective branded hashtags. They should be associated exclusively with your company, so they should be made unique and memorable. As an example, you can quote the popular brand Kit Kat. They use their slogan as an effective brand-name hashtag #haveabreak.
Specialists can help to introduce unique hashtags into the work to promote your company in social networks and make your organisation even more recognizable.
If you know some unique hashtag tricks please write to us on twitter – @Digitalspiritz